Thursday, December 20, 2012

Dried Plum, Brown Sugar and Pecan Pastry Roll-Ups

 Yes.  You're right.  Those are prunes.

Sometimes as Americans, we can get a little silly about prunes.  Like they're only for the 65+ crowd. 

I once read a book about the cultural eating habits of French women (who are rarely overweight and even less rarely obsess over counting calories and fat grams); the author confessed she eats a prune almost every morning with breakfast.  And she quite enjoys the luxury of the fruit!

This recipe comes from the kitchen of my lovely childhood friend, Beth.  I happened to be making the Tuxedo Cake at her house last weekend.  She was preparing for a party and just threw these little jewels together.  I was sure to capture the process so I could share this wonderful appetizer item with you.

These are very easy to prepare:  simply use refrigerated crescent dough.  With a pizza cutter, cut each triangle in half (to about the width of a prune.)

Place about 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar and a few pecan pieces on the dough.

Top with a prune,

And roll.  Bake at 350 degrees for 9-12 minutes until edges are golden brown.  (Begin checking at 9 minutes.)

(I'm not putting a recipe here because I didn't write down the specifics as Beth made this.  But you'll need a can of the refrigerated crescent rolls, prunes, brown sugar, and pecans.  And I do suggest lining the baking sheet with parchment paper.  Makes clean-up much easier.  Unless your doing the dishes side-by-side with a heart-sister.  Then you forget the tedium of scrubbing as you talk about life together.  :) )

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Mary said...

My Grandma always had kolaces ready for when we went to visit. She made them with poppy seed filling, apricot, prune and cherry. My favorite flavor is prune.

CAid said...

nice post!

Anonymous said...

I used cinnamon sugar inside and rolled the outside in it, too. They came out perfect and were certainly easy. I will make them again. Thanks.